Wednesday, April 25, 2012

High expectations can ruin a good thing if you think it should be great.


“Well, I was counting on my kids to make millions.” – Tami Peck, my mom, 4/24/2012

I guess it is no secret parents want the best for their children. You commonly hear the phrase “I just want them to have it better than I did.” Little did I know it was because they want to piggy back on our successes. I assure you I don’t come from money, no “silver spoons” in this mouth. As far as I know we grew up comfortable, never hungry or without a place to live and far from poor.

The funny part about growing up is you don’t know any better. In fact I don’t think kids truly think about money or possessions until at least the teen years. Love and food seem to be the most important things in a child’s life. We provide both in abundance. I do recall the year I asked for a Starter Jacket and Doc Martens, must have been seventh grade. Oklahoma State starter Jacket for the win. I guess my parents didn’t think a pair of work boots were as practical. 

I have dreams and aspirations for my son to be drafted first round for a five year deal worth $12.5 million in guaranteed money and a $1.5 million signing bonus. But maybe he wants to cure cancer instead. Either way I guess I will still love him. He has options.

As a near-30-year-old I sometimes feel behind in making my dreams come true. Let me clarify. My financial and professional dreams are a bit behind where I think they should be. I couldn’t be happier with my marriage and my awesome son, exceeding all expectations. Now I just want the cup to runneth over with gold and riches. Daddy needs a new lawn mower.  
 













To quote The Beatles, “Money can’t buy me love”, but to quote 50 Cent, “If ‘brothers’ hate then let em hate, and watch the money pile up.” I guess my point is as Kanye says, “There's dishes in the back, he gotta roll up his sleeves/But while ya’ll washin’ watch him/ He gone make it into a Benz out of that Datsun/ He got that ambition baby look in his eyes/This week he’s moppin’ floors next week it's the fries.”

I feel like I need to do some dishes so I can move up and run my own restaurant. Maybe with enough writing/singing/promoting I can reach some of those starving artists’ dreams of being a not so starving artist. I am thankful for my job and the people I have met as a result both far and near. Just like for everyone there is a brass ring you reach for and sometimes you fall short. It is about time to take a leap at that ring and make things happen. (I am not quitting my job, just in case you are reading into this a bit to deep.)

I know mom was kidding about making millions. In fact I don’t think she could be more proud of my sister and I. We both are happy, healthy and loved, just like we were as little kids. Money is the added bonus to a life so full of joy and it’s about time for a pay raise! I often wonder about the people out in the world who dream of having a corporate job and dream of being a CEO. I think they have to be wired differently. I keep pitching the idea to my wife of moving to the islands and home schooling, so far we just haven’t decided on which island.

I guess expectations are what keep us striving and the thing that can stop us cold. Aerosmith had it right “Life’s a journey not a destination and you just can’t tell just what tomorrow brings.” If you are always aiming for the expectation you might miss out on all the chances and opportunities along the way. Our course is never set in stone. Expectations can raise or lower but they rarely stay the same. We raise the bar and set new goals that test our abilities and our heart. People’s faith in you or their expectations of you are what make you who you are. It is only you that can make your decisions, but with help and by surrounding yourself with positive people your expectations of the world become clear.

I expect my parents to be there for me. I expect my wife to love me unconditionally. I expect my son to do his homework without being told.

My expectations for my work are to find success in writing. My expectations for my marriage: 60+ happy years. My expectations for my son are beyond the stars.

You are bound to let some people down. You can’t make everybody happy. High expectations can ruin a good thing if you think it should be great. And low expectations can make a bad thing seem a little bit better. Know where you stand let your expectations steer you in the right direction.


1 comment: