Tuesday, April 24, 2012

High School: Finding the Mic (or) Glee before Glee was a thing


Today I am sharing something I started almost a year ago. No, I'm not trying to be the next Tony Robbins but if my life story helps others why not put it out there. Sure I have a spin and a title I will share with you all later, but for now enjoy this excerpt and again thanks for reading the blog.



(An excerpt from a book I am trying to write.)

As the libido settled down and the church-going cooled, it was time for senior year. As a summer full of hanging in the pool, hauling hay and preseason football ended so began the class of 2001's epic rise to greatness. Some might say we had a swagger others call it cocky, but we felt unstoppable. State champions, academic standouts and an overall low arrest record. It was our school and everyone knew it. (I think most of the teachers left after we graduated because they felt they couldn’t possibly top our phenomenal group.) Don’t get me wrong, as I would find out later in life not everyone enjoyed high school like I did, but it is what you make of it. It was senior year when I found my confidence. I entered the Mr. Claremore Pageant (no swimsuit competition) read a poem and even sang in front of a crowd with one of my best friends Kyle Payne. This would not be our last stage shared. In an all school pep assembly we rocked the house with a love song to our girlfriends. (Standard issue, they were younger than us and thought it was awesome, I think.) And once more as my broadcasting career kicked off as a co-announcer for the powder puff football game. (We have been called bro-mates on more than one occasion.)

A brief description of powder puff football: In case you don’t know what powder puff football is please allow me to inform. This is the day when the most athletic girls in school join forces creating an uber-strong force of hotness and sport. School dress codes are null and void during this glorious game and in a perfect world competitiveness turns graphic as a result of tackling, despite the fact this is a flag football game. Everyone is welcome to skip class to be there and it stands out as one of the greatest events to take place during school hours. Pure Joy!

Wisecracking and commentating on coaching style and the level of play were among the highlights as we were allowed to do and say just about anything. If memory serves, a tense moment came when the red teams leading rusher burst around the left side sprinting for the end zone only to have her shorts ripped from her body revealing…. thank goodness underwear. It was a stellar moment for any high school teen and a perfect topping of an already wonderfully successful display of teen angst. (*see footnote)

Some gifts come in odd packages. These early days of being on a microphone would lead me further down the road of communications. I knew that if I could convey my emotions that others would listen and hopefully enjoy the sound and the words. I don’t feel like I cheated myself in high school one bit. Looking back my biggest regret remains not playing basketball all four years. It seems strange maybe but my level of confidence and the place I dug for myself prevented me from playing my favorite sport. This attitude is what brings me back to taking life by the horns and reaching out for success while welcoming failure as an opportunity to improve. We can’t always win and not everyone will like us, but we can always try and in trying we learn to like ourselves in both disappointment and success.


* There should be a graphic story about prom and how drunk I got and all the premarital escapades, but I didn’t do any of those things. Sorry to disappoint. Lots of sex stories in the marriage section though. Okay, I am being told by my wife that is not acceptable. Sorry to disappoint, again.


Happy Tuesday Everyone. Thanks for Reading!

1 comment: